[CP2K-user] NPT volume error when using beryllium in molten salts

Austin clark austin.d... at gmail.com
Mon Jan 6 22:21:04 UTC 2020

Hi all,

I'm running some AIMD simulations on molten salts using the NPT ensemble.
Typically, the equilibrium cell volumes correspond to liquid densities that
agree well with experiment. However, I'm currently working with a salt that
consistently yields an equilibrium volume that is much lower than
experimental models predict. The only difference I can really see is that
this salt contains beryllium, and our others do not. Our other salts used
only alkali cations. Beryllium is also known to form a unique structure in
this salt, and qualitatively we see that, but our equilibrium volume is
still off by about 5%. Any idea what is happening?

Thanks,
Austin