[CP2K-user] OT for Aluminum Oxide?

Fabian Ducry fabia... at gmail.com
Mon Feb 17 08:47:43 UTC 2020

Hi,

I can confirm that OT works well with alumina. Settings that I typically
use (in MD) are
        &SCF
            SCF_GUESS RESTART
            EPS_SCF 1.0E-6
            MAX_SCF 30
            &OT
                MINIMIZER DIIS
                ALGORITHM IRAC
                ENERGY_GAP 0.5
                PRECONDITIONER FULL_SINGLE_INVERSE
            &END OT
            &OUTER_SCF
                MAX_SCF 20
                EPS_SCF 1.0E-6
            &END OUTER_SCF
        &END SCF

IRAC is much faster than CG, but apparently not always reliable. I haven't
noticed any problems so far though.
If you have more than a few dozen atoms, I recommend FULL_SINGLE_INVERSE
over FULL_ALL with a relatiely large ENERGY_GAP (~0.5).

OT is not necessarily faster than diagonalization, it just scales better
with number of atoms. Without knowing more about your systems it's
difficult to tell what's happening.

Best,
Fabian