[CP2K-user] [CP2K:14361] CP2K-7.1 Toolchain crash at ELPA instalation

Krzysztof Kolman krzyszt... at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 20:15:01 UTC 2020

Hello Tiziano,

Thank you again for your help! After compiling psmp version of cp2k
(openMPI based ), both of them, SIRIUS and ELPA are included. After the
compilation I have benchmarked both of them and I got some results that I
do not understand (ssmp and psmp were compiled with CUDA enabled). For
testing, I was using my desktop pc, Ubuntu 20.04, Intel Core i7-4790, (4
cores, 2 threads), Gtx 1660 super and 16 gb of RAM. As benchmark I was
using H2O-64.inp. Please find below what I got:

1) time cp2k.ssmp -o H2O-64.out H2O-64.inp

real    8m7,011s
user    27m34,937s
sys    1m2,519s

2) time mpirun -np 4 cp2k.psmp -o H2O-64.out H2O-64.inp

no load on GPU, only video memory used
real    49m20,818s
user    361m47,512s
sys    2m30,998s

Why do I observe such huge difference? I run it twice and I got the same
result. After that I started to play little bit.

3) time mpirun -np 4 -x OMP_NUM_THREADS=2 cp2k.psmp -o H2O-64.out H2O-64.inp

real    7m59,329s
user    41m36,361s
sys    0m47,529s

4) time mpirun -np 4 --map-by slot:PE=1 -x OMP_PLACES=threads -x
OMP_PROC_BIND=SPREAD -x OMP_NUM_THREADS=2 cp2k.psmp -o H2O-64.out
H2O-64.inp

real    7m50,873s
user    41m25,381s
sys    0m46,038s

Tiziano, do you know why such huge discrepancies are observed? Thank you in
advance for you comments!

Best regards,
Krzysztof
On Wednesday, December 9, 2020 at 10:25:01 PM UTC+1 tiz... at chem.uzh.ch