[CP2K-user] [CP2K:13141] spin of unpaired electrons

pavan kumar behara pavan... at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 15:39:44 UTC 2020

Hi Lucas,

Yeah, I tried to build a minimal example and I realized that this system
doesn't convey what I really wanted to ask, that's why I deleted the
question after I posted it. I apologize for the inconvenience, thank you
though for taking time to look into it.

I wanted to look at the c-direction electron transfer in spin bi-layer bulk
Hematite. I could always generate one state where Fe(III) has all five
d-electrons spin down and the excess electron pairs up with one d-electron
making it Fe(II). Let's say this is my initial state. And all the Fe(III)
in one layer above or below this layer in c-dir have 5 d-electrons spin-up.
When I try to localize an excess electron on one of these iron atoms in the
second layer to generate a final state for electron transfer pathway I
always end up with the electron going to the other spin-layer. I tried to
relax multiplicity and started with a good initial guess using broken
symmetry section. But, I see that more MO_beta orbitals are not accepted in
cp2k by design, and it seems to be the case in all chemistry codes I came
across. And also I can't specify the multiplicity to be zero considering I
have an excess beta electron [2*(-0.5)+1 = 0], zero is the default value
and multiplicity is evaluated to 2 with an excess electron, again placing
it in alpha channel. It seems I am missing something basic here since
negative spin multiplicities are not accepted. As you explained I think
both states give the same energy and there is no need to place the excess
charge in beta channel. There might be some other way to do these
calculations if one wants to study anisotropy in c-dir of Hematite.

Thanks again.

Best regards,
Pavan.