[CP2K-user] [CP2K:13141] spin of unpaired electrons

Lucas Lodeiro eluni... at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 01:24:51 UTC 2020

Hi Pavan,

I am not an expert on CP2K code, but in a theoretical point of view what
you want to calculate is the same state, just in a different micro-state.
The case you show, or what ever case of duplet spin multiplicity has two
micro-states (in the spin freedom degree), and both have the same energy
(degenerated) and are described by the same spectroscopic term, but with
different z spin projection. In both cases the quantum state for all
properties is the same (except for Ŝ_z), then most of program, for
simplicity, uses the alpha channel to project the spin.
For higher spin multiplicities, you have more micro-states for the same
spectroscopic term, but is complex in some cases. The triplet example, you
have 3 micro-states, S_z=+1,0,-1. The former and the latter are a single
determinant and the only difference is the channels of the unpaired
electrons (two), is a simple case as duplet multiplicity, but, the S_z=0
case is complex, due to this state is a linear combination of two
determinants, and needs multi reference description. Then the full spin
projection is a simpler case.

Only if you use a magnetic field, the degeneration is broken, and both
cases you mention are differents.

Regards - Lucas Lodeiro