[CP2K-user] [CP2K:12255] Negative Pressure in NVT ensemble

Thomas Kühne tku... at gmail.com
Mon Sep 23 17:59:38 UTC 2019

Dear Ramanish Singh,

minimal mispredictions within lattice constant and vectors
may entail large changes in the pressure. So observing a
rather large negative pressure is not necessarily indicative
of a problem. Beside that the usage of good basis sets and
tight SCF convergence is essential, it is hard to say anything
specific without detailed knowledge on what you plan to do.

Best,
Thomas Kühne

> Am 23.09.2019 um 18:01 schrieb Ramanish Singh <sing... at umn.edu>:
>
> Hi,
>
> I am simulating a system of Iodine atoms using BLYP functional in the NVT ensemble.
> But when I am calculating the pressure, using   STRESS_TENSOR ANALYTICAL in the FORCE_EVAL section, my pressure (average of the xx,yy and zz elements) is coming out to be negative which is far from the experimental pressure at that density and Temperature.
> I can not figure out why this is happening.
>
> Thanks,
> Ramanish Singh

Thomas D. Kühne
Dynamics of Condensed Matter