[CP2K-user] What are the differences between running GEO_OPT and CELL_OPT?

Konstantin Tamoev konstant... at gmail.com
Thu Nov 28 14:32:53 UTC 2019

Hello everyone,

so, I have a molecular structure that I want to optimize and I understand
the procedure involving GEO_OPT to do so. In my case I have to care for
periodicities along let's say the x-axis. For that purpose, I use VMD to
approximate a simulation cell for my structure as tight fitting as
possible, so that between periodic images of the structure (along x-axis)
there is not much overlap or distance.
Now, I assumed that by running CELL_OPT in a subsequent step I would get a
better simulation cell which I could use in another GEO_OPT step to get
more exact results. But judging from the output of the CELL_OPT I'm
guessing that CELL_OPT also changes xyz coordinates of my structure, i.e.
tries to optimize the structure?

Can someone explain to me the difference between the two (CELL- and
GEO_OPT)? Maybe I just misunderstood what a cell optimization is.

Regards,

Konstantin