[CP2K-user] Energy changes abnormally in OT method during the GEO_OPT

Travis polla... at gmail.com
Thu Nov 14 07:16:55 UTC 2019

Hi,

I was approaching convergence for the low spin case in 400 steps changing
the ALPHA parameter above to 0.02 with energy differences between SCF
iterations down to 1e-5 Ha. For the high spin case, you'll need to improve
the quality of your initial guess, else it will take even more cycles to
converge. For that you can add the MAGNETIZATION keyword in &KIND for the
relevant atoms. The combination of the ATOMIC guess with the high
multiplicity causes your system's magnetic moment to fluctuate pretty
wildly initially, contributing to the very slow convergence behavior you're
seeing.

-T