[CP2K-user] Convergence problem in further steps of ab initio molecular dynamics

Mohammad Shakiba mshakiba.... at gmail.com
Sat Mar 30 11:19:32 UTC 2019

Hi,

Dear Matt,

Your video and also the videos inside the playlist were very useful and I
learned so much and thank you so much for that. Although I modified my
input but I have to recompile my cp2k version with libint and elpa as well.

What I noticed in the videos was that you used SCF_GUESS RESTART and
WFN_RESTART_FILE_NAME ${project}-RESTART.wfn. Now I have some other
question in my mind:

** Does using a RESTART file make the calculations and convergence faster
and better? How can I obtain such a file before starting AIMD because I
found no such file but I have, for example, *.restart.bak.1 file (after
running calculations) but not *.wfn file? and I don't know if I can use it
in the EX_RESTART section and obtain good convergence.

** As I saw the "RESTART", I remember that in some papers they have
equilibriated the system for some pico-seconds with time step of 10fs and
then continued the calculations with smaller time steps like 2fs. To this
end I guess that I have to make two inputs: one with 10fs time step and the
other with a EXT_RESTART file from the previous and 2fs time step. But I
don't know what to put for SCF_GUESS for the second input? ATOMIC?