[CP2K-user] Atomic forces in a charged unit cell

Lucas Koziol kozio... at gmail.com
Fri Mar 1 05:03:58 UTC 2019

Hi All,

I'm trying to calculate the energy/gradients on an OH- molecule in vacuum.
I need this because I want to subtract out the intra-molecular force
component from the total force on the same OH- in a condensed phase. I am
basically just interested in the inter-molecular forces in the condensed
phase.

There is a "Charge" keyword in the dft section of the cp2k input file, so
the idea of calculating energy/gradients of OH- in the vacuum seems
legitimate. My question is whether the corresponding background charge that
is introduced to overcome the cell non-neutrality will couple the
calculated forces in any undesired way.

Thanks!
LK