[CP2K-user] Kinetic Energy from Velocities

Claudio marg... at gmail.com
Wed Jun 19 00:50:04 UTC 2019

Dear all,

first thanks in advance for your help.

I have a very simple question (perhaps a units misunderstanding on my
part). I am simulating classically in the NVT ensemble a simple AB type
molten salt with a polarizable potential. When I write out the velocities
along my simulation and I try to compute the kinetic energy using these via
the expression:

1/2 Sum_i { m_i v_i dot v_i} and multiply by the conversion factor  911.447
--as per the manual--

"Having an atom with a mass m in AMU the kinetic energy 1/2mv^2 will be
obtained in Hartree (i.e. au) multiplying by 911.447"

I get a number in Hartrees that is exactly 1/2 of that printed out by CP2K
each frame. I can't seem to understand how to reconcile these two numbers.
Is there something I am overlooking?

Thanks once again for your kind help and consideration. I can provide the
velocities of a snapshot and a simple code to compute the kinetic energy if
needed, but this is so simple that I doubt the problem is in the code.

Best regards

Claudio