[CP2K-user] [CP2K:11276] Re: SCF convergence criterion options

Thomas Kühne tku... at gmail.com
Sat Feb 16 13:16:00 UTC 2019

Hi,

even though I agree with the comments made by Martin, I would like to add that only for TD
EPS_SCF is the maximum norm of the difference between two subsequent density matrices.
In case of OT, it is the mean deviation between the preconditioned gradients, which is a much
weaker criterion! From this it follows first that in my opinion the change of energy is not the best
choice of stopping criterion since it may be strongly dependent of the employed preconditioner
and second that a calculations with TD and the default EPS_SCF value of 1.0E-6 is typically
more accurate than the same calculation with EPS_SCF set to 1.0E-7. In other words, the
choice of eigenvalue solver is much more important than the specific stopping criterion!

Best,
Thomas