[CP2K-user] [CP2K:11259]

Patrick Gono patric... at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 16:36:29 UTC 2019

Dear Akshay,

the input file seems reasonable to me, at least on first inspection. I've
looked at the trajectory as well. Proton transfer via the Grotthuss
mechanism can be observed, for example, around snapshot 3700 if you focus
on the water molecules with oxygen atoms No. 61, 70, and 79. Note that VMD
numbers atoms starting from 0 (unlike CP2K, which starts at 1), hence using
VMD's query tool you should look for oxygen atoms 60, 69, and 78. The water
molecules exchange hydrogen atoms in the snapshots leading up to here.
Using the CPK representation this becomes apparent through long bonds
between the oxygen of one water molecule and the hydrogen now belonging to
another water molecule. For a more comprehensive analysis, I suggest
writing a script that would, for example, track the distance of each
hydrogen atom from the closest oxygen atom in the initial structure. This
should make jumps in the distance apparent, and hence serve as a good
representation of proton transfer.

Since you are using GGA, I would expect the excess positive charge to be
spread out instead of being localized on a specific hydrogen atom. That's
why the proton transport happens all over the palce over the length of the
trajectory. This might or might not be important for the purpose of your
studies. In this paper:
https://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/acs.jpcb.6b03876 it is argued that the
hybrid PBE0(0.4) functional (40% exact exchange) and the van der Waals
rVV10 correction with a b parameter of 5.3 reproduce the structural and
electronic properties of liquid water quite well. Hybrid functionals are
quite efficient in CP2K thanks to the ADMM method, and the more accurate
rVV10 vdW correction has basically little to no overheard as far as my
experience goes. So this simulation should be feasible. However, I am not
really sure that such hybrid functionals would accurately model excess
charge in water. I trust you know more about this topic from your own
literature search.

Yours sincerely,
Patrick Gono