[CP2K-user] Bad condition number error

Brian Day 22b... at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 17:12:29 UTC 2019

Hi everyone,

I've recently started to get the following error while running single point
energy calculations on some systems.

 SCF WAVEFUNCTION OPTIMIZATION

  Step     Update method      Time    Convergence         Total energy
Change

     1 NoMix/Diag. 0.10E+00    3.8     0.75631948      -243.4503623748
-2.43E+02
     2 Broy./Diag. 0.10E+00    4.7     0.36183064      -245.7284413793
-2.28E+00

 *   ___
   *
 *  /   \
    *
 * [ABORT]
   *
 *  \___/    Bad condition number R_COND = 0.000E+00 (smaller than the
machine *
 *    |                             working precision)
   *
 *  O/|
    *
 * /| |
    *
 * / \
common/mathlib.F:710 *

Unfortunately, I do not seem to get this error in any consistent fashion,
and I have yet to find a common thread as to when/why I get it. Moreover,
there are typically two successful SCF calculations before the error is
printed, as shown above. These results correspond to the file
/NeutralGeo/Cu3(HIB)2-ReorgEnergy-wMetal-eagn-run.out, which I have
attached. The general procedure for these calculations is as follows:
Submit the "build-submit-reorg-single.bash" file, which creates one
directory per charge state (i.e. Anionic/Cationic/NeutralGeo) and fills in
the cp2k-reorg-*geo-template.slurm file. This file is submitted to our
cluster, along with the template cp2k file, here reorg-BLYP-wD3.inp. The
calculations it then runs are a geometry optimization for the corresponding
charge state (i.e. GeoOpt for neutral state in NeutralGeo directory), a
single point energy calculation using the same charge state and optimized
geometry (this was for printing cube files, but I have that turned off now
for the sake of figuring out this error), and then two more single point
energy calculations for the anionic/cationic state, using the optimized
neutral geometry. I had run many fo these before without issue, but after
making some small changes to my reorg-BLYP-wD3.inp, this issue appeared.
However, commenting out the changes does not seem to solve the issue. I am
still working to debug this, but if anybody has some insight, that would be
greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Best,
     Brian Day