[CP2K-user] error: sum of local cols not equal global cols

Fernan Saiz fsai... at gmail.com
Sun Feb 3 09:48:54 UTC 2019

Dear all,
I am trying to run a geometry optimization of a unit cell of MoS2 with CP2k
compiled with gcc on my desktop. Please see input script files. The problem
that I face is that cp2k aborts the simulation with the following error:
'sum of local cols not equal global cols'. The last lines of the log.out
file look like:

                        level_shift [a.u.]:
0.00

                        Outer loop SCF in use
                        No variables optimised in outer loop
                        eps_scf
1.00E-05
                        max_scf
1000
                        No outer loop optimization
                        step_size
5.00E-01
 mepos           0           0 numpe           1           1
 ncol_global         104
 nrow_global         104
 ncol_locals           0
 nrow_locals           0

 *
___                                                                       *
 *  /
\                                                                      *
 *
[ABORT]
*
 *  \___/                 sum of local cols not equal global
cols              *
 *
|                                                                        *
 *
O/|                                                                        *
 * /|
|                                                                        *
 * / \
fm/cp_fm_struct.F:254 *

I have extensively used cp2k and I usually modify little my input script
files for each system, including the main one (mos2.inp) for this case, so
I suspect that the error cannot reside on the DFT parameters I employ.
However, this is the first time I face this error. Furthermore, if I run
this script with a version of CP2k compiler with Intel on a cluster, I get
a segmentation fault of the type: forrtl: severe (174): SIGSEGV,
segmentation fault occurred.

I would really appreciate any help.

Best regards,
 - Fernan Saiz, PhD
Materials Science Institute of Barcelona (ICMAB-CSIC)
Campus de la UAB, Bellaterra, Spain