[CP2K-user] how to run brokn spin symmetry calculation with OT

Tamas K. Stenczel sten... at gmail.com
Sun Dec 29 14:38:45 UTC 2019

Dear cp2k developers and users,

I am working modelling the combustion of small hydrocarbons and have issue
with spin. I am using CP2K 5.1 right now.

I would like to calculate my system in UKS singlet state, with broken
symmetry of the alpha-beta channels.  I have understood that this is the
expected behavior of a large system with many oxygen molecules and the
result should be better than the singlet with RKS or with spin-symmetric
UKS (these two give me the same results actually).

Is this possible with the OT methods, how to do it? I have been using
OT%DIIS for its performance with SCF convergence. Diag and mixing methods
were not as reliable as this so far, but can perform relaxation of
multiplicity, which has given me asymetric spins but I cannot use the
wavefunctions of that to restart OT from, due to the error:

>  *   ___                                                                       *
>  *  /   \                                                                      *
>  * [ABORT]                                                                     *
>  *  \___/    Number of occupied MOs on restart unit larger than allocated MOs. *
>  *    |                                                                        *
>  *  O/|                                                                        *
>  * /| |                                                                        *
>  * / \                                                          qs_mo_io.F:818 *
>  *******************************************************************************

some of the input. I have attached an input file of an O2 molecule for
example.
&DFT
    POTENTIAL_FILE_NAME GTH_POTENTIALS
    UKS TRUE
    MULTIPLICITY 1
    BASIS_SET_FILE_NAME COMBINED_BASIS_TKS32
    &SCF
      MAX_SCF 25
      EPS_SCF 0.0001
      SCF_GUESS RESTART