[CP2K-user] Difference between DZVP-MOLOPT-GTH and DZVP-MOLOPT-SR-GTH-q18?

Travis polla... at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 18:48:24 UTC 2019

Hi,

Specifically the ones you listed, yes there would be a tangible difference
between SR and non-SR variants. SR basis sets have greatly reduced
diffusivity to the basis functions, making them faster to reach
convergence. They come at a small cost to accuracy in terms of basis set
incompleteness errors. However, DZVP-MOLOPT-SR-GTH and
DZVP-MOLOPT-SR-GTH-q18 mean the same thing. The basis set format for CP2K
is as follows,

Element symbol  Name of the basis set  Alias names

So DZVP-MOLOPT-SR-GTH-q18 is the alias for the basis set
DZVP-MOLOPT-SR-GTH. q18 refers to the number of valence electrons. The
convention in the POTENTIAL file is just the opposite,

Ni GTH-PBE-q18 GTH-PBE

-T