[CP2K:10764] Why doesn't the Cons Qty include the potential energy of shell (shell model) in NVE ensemble?

Krack Matthias (PSI) matthia... at psi.ch
Thu Sep 20 14:21:08 UTC 2018

Dear Zuoheng

Though the regression test inputs may serve as a kind of initial input template for an application case, the settings for these tests are rather sloppy allowing for a quick processing in order to check a specific program feature or functionality. The core-shell model requires smaller time steps than rigid-ion force fields because of the usually faster motion of the light shell particles. At ambient conditions 0.5 fs might be a good guess, but smaller and smaller time steps are required for increasing temperatures until the break-down of the approach (“polarisation catastrophe”) at high temperatures will occur. The shell particles should always stay close to their core particles. Core-shell distances of more than 0.5A indicate that the approach is going to break-down.
There is the option to minimise (relax) the core-shell distances (MOTION/SHELL_OPT<https://manual.cp2k.org/trunk/CP2K_INPUT/MOTION/SHELL_OPT.html> section) if you specify for MAX_DISTANCE a value greater that zero and that value is surpassed. That is useful for initialisation or structure optimisation runs, but the energy conservation is affected when such relaxation steps are randomly performed during an MD run. MAX_DISTANCE has only an effect if the SHELL_OPT section is explicitly specified.

HTH

Matthias