[CP2K:10729] Re: How to accelerate the calculation of pdos ?

Krack Matthias (PSI) matthia... at psi.ch
Fri Sep 14 07:27:18 UTC 2018

Hi

As reported in the CP2K output headers

GLOBAL| Total number of message passing processes                             1
GLOBAL| Number of threads for this process                                   36

both runs were not MPI parallel and only OpenMP parallel using the same resources, i.e. one MPI process and 36 OpenMP threads. Thus it is not surprising that you observed no acceleration, since you used the same resources. Moreover, the use of more than 8 threads per (MPI) process is rarely beneficial for CP2K runs and will result rather in a slowdown than a speedup. You have to launch the runs properly, e.g. using something like “mpiexec –n 12 cp2k.popt” which depends, of course, on your installation. If you are using a cp2k.psmp executable, then you should set in addition “export OMP_NUM_THREADS=1”.

Matthias