[CP2K-user] Constrained DFT (CDFT) Errors

Nico Holmberg holmbe... at gmail.com
Wed Oct 31 06:35:13 UTC 2018

Hi,

The first error is harmless. When you compute CDFT charges, the atomic
weight functions for each atom are stored as separate grids. This warning
merely states that your simulation allocated (and later released) more of
these grids from the grid pool than the hardcoded "limit". I don't know the
history behind this choice, but I would say that its safe to ignore this
warning. The last error is also harmless: you're using diagonalization with
orbital occupation smearing, which cannot be used to compute the spin
contamination metric S**2.

The 2nd-4th errors are more serious. These are related to the use of
Diagonalization + orbital smearing. As I mentioned in my previous post, the
CDFT coupling is well-defined only when computed between states with the
same total number of electrons. This also applies to spins: the states
should be in the same spin state, i.e., the number of alpha/beta electrons
should be the same in both states. These errors indicate that the number of
alpha/beta electrons is not the same in both states, which are computed as
the sum of orbital occupations (you can print these if you want to check
for yourself). If you want to keep using diagonalization, you need to
ensure that the calculation preserves the number of alpha/beta electrons.
You can use the keyword FIXED_MAGNETIC_MOMENT
<https://manual.cp2k.org/trunk/CP2K_INPUT/FORCE_EVAL/DFT/SCF/SMEAR.html#FIXED_MAGNETIC_MOMENT> to
fix the number spin electrons. I encourage you to test this keyword first
without CDFT.

You also have another choice if the difference between the number of
alpha/beta electrons is small (ideally <0.1). The CDFT calculation
considers all MOs with occupation larger than EPS_OCCUPIED
<https://manual.cp2k.org/trunk/CP2K_INPUT/FORCE_EVAL/MIXED/MIXED_CDFT.html#EPS_OCCUPIED> as
occupied orbitals (default value 1e-6). It's possible that you could remove
some of the fractionally occupied orbitals by increasing EPS_OCCUPIED,
which could then ensure that both states are in the same spin state. In my
experience, fractionally occupied orbitals can exhibit linear dependencies
causing the coupling to vanish. You can use a singular value decomposition
(keyword EPS_SVD
<https://manual.cp2k.org/trunk/CP2K_INPUT/FORCE_EVAL/MIXED/MIXED_CDFT.html#EPS_SVD> )
to screen linearly-dependent MOs by setting EPS_SVD to some small value
e.g. 1e-3. In this case, only those MO pais whose singular value is above
1e-3 is included in the CDFT calculation. You can use the print keyword
MO_OVERLAP_EIGENVALUES
<https://manual.cp2k.org/trunk/CP2K_INPUT/FORCE_EVAL/MIXED/MIXED_CDFT/PRINT/PROGRAM_RUN_INFO.html#MO_OVERLAP_EIGENVALUES>
to see which MO pairs get eliminated if you vary EPS_SVD.

As you can see using diagonalization with CDFT can be quite complex. If
possible I would recommend switching to OT.

- Nico