[CP2K-user] Constrained DFT (CDFT) Errors

Nico Holmberg holmbe... at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 05:05:02 UTC 2018

Hi Brian,

I'm not 100 % sure but I think that "EXIT CODE: 9" means that your
calculation ran out of memory. Try increasing the number of nodes or
initially for testing purposes decrease the amount of memory required by
using: smaller cutoff and/or smaller cell (your should be able to get away
with a smaller cell with wavelet, but do test this).

By the way, I noticed you're using Diagonalization instead of OT as the
solver. If at all possible for your system (converges, produces reasonable
results), switch to OT because in my experience CDFT converges much more
nicely with OT than diagonalization.

To your questions,

1) Do you want the charge to be positive or negative? If in the neutral
case the CDFT constraint group has X electrons, then X+1 electrons will
give it a negative -1 charge, and X-1 electrons will give it a positive +1
charge. The total number of electrons must be conserved in both states if
you subsequently plan on calculating the electronic coupling. You can also
calculate the energy difference between CDFT states with a different total
net charge as long as you take into account the changes in charge properly
(but not any properties called with MIXED_CDFT section).
2) I guess you mean the "TARGET" keyword not "STRENGTH". Use the number of
valence electrons as determined by the pseudo and basis set if you're doing
GPW calculations (not all-electron GAPW). So a neutral Cu atom would have
11 valence electrons (target 11).

BR,

Nico