[CP2K-user] Binding Enery Curve for Si-S bond

Aniruddha Dive anirudd... at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 18:34:37 UTC 2018

Hi All,

I want to generate a binding energy curve for a Si-S bond with bond lengths
varying from 1.5 A - 7.5 A. To calculate the binding energy curve I have
generated a SiH3-SH molecule where I vary the Si-S bond lengths from 1.5 A
to 7.5 A over 25 different geometries. I run a geometry optimization for
each geometry keeping the Si and S atoms fixed while allowing other atoms
to relax. Based on the energies for all these geometries I obtain a binding
energy curve for Si-S which flattens out giving a bond dissociation energy
of 105 kcal/mol. The experimental Si-S bond dissociation energy reported is
~ 145 kcal/mol which is significantly higher than what I obtain. To
generate the binding energy curve I take all the energies to be relative to
the minima which corresponds to zero energy.

I am thinking that this difference could be due to the BSSE effects when
the Si-S atoms are at a larger separation leading to generation of two
fragments SiH3 and SH. To determine the BSSE, I ran a BSSE calculations for
the SiH3-SH molecule where the Si-S distance is 7.5 A. I obtain a
CP-corrected total energy from these calculatons. Now, while generating the
binding energy curve do I need to use the CP-corrected total energy as the
total energy for that geometry? Or should I subtract this CP-corrected
total energy from the total energy obtained during geometry optimization
which will give me the BSSE. Further should I add the BSSE obtained to the
relative energies for these geometries where the Si-S distance is larger
than 3.0 A.

I have attached input file providing details about the GEO_OPT as well as
BSSE and the coordinate file for one case.

Kindly let me know how can I generate an accurate binding energy curve for
these molecules?

Thanks,
Aniruddha M Dive
PhD Candidate, Washington State University