[CP2K-user] Constrained DFT (CDFT) Errors

Nico Holmberg holmbe... at gmail.com
Tue Nov 6 10:24:10 UTC 2018

Hi Brian,

I am glad to hear that switching to OT resolved your issue. The definitions
for the terms you asked about are the following

   - Charge transfer energy (J-I): This is the (vertical) energy difference
   between the two CDFT states. You can compute the solvent reorganization
   energy and the reaction (free) energy terms from this quantity, which both
   appear in Marcus theory. In practice, you would need to sample this
   quantity over a CDFT MD simulation, see e.g. the first CP2K CDFT
   implementation paper.
   - Diabatic electronic coupling: This is the effective coupling between
   the CDFT states after orthogonalization, i.e., the term you would use for
   H_ab in Marcus' rate equation for ET (see e.g. the CP2K CDFT tutorial for
   the actual equation).
   - Overlap between states: This is the value of the overlap integral
   between CDFT states, which are represented by Kohn-Sham Slater determinants
   (not true wavefunctions). This quantity is needed to compute the electronic
   coupling, see the CP2K CDFT tutorial for the relevant equations. This
   quantity measures how similar (value close to 1) or dissimilar (close to 0)
   the involved CDFT states are.

BR,
Nico