Energy jumps in initial phase of BFGS convergence

Eduard Elias mcroc... at gmail.com
Thu May 3 07:51:20 UTC 2018

Hi All,

I have a problem minimizing the geometry of my system. I am trying to
minimize a relatively large system (264 atoms), but using the BFGS
minimizer it doesn't seem to work. Every time I start the optimization the
initial phase of the run shows large positive jumps in energy before the
energy smoothly decreases:

I use a Restart with the default parameters but this doesn't solve this
initial phase. Furthermore, I am stuck with a walltime of 24h on my
computer cluster so I cannot simply just let it run for a longer amount of
time. I have tried using the CG optimizer but, although it always minimizes
the energy from the start, it is extremely slow. I was wondering if someone
knows how to restart the geometry optimization in a way that it immediately
starts to decrease in energy? I attached the input files to this message.
Thanks in advance!

With kind regards,
Eduard Elias