Why to use a scaling factor for both vdw and electrostatics in QM/MM calculations

Dawid das add... at googlemail.com
Wed Jun 6 09:19:47 UTC 2018

Hello,

Whether you scale the 1-4 interctions or not depends on the force field and
system (lipid, protein, nucleic
acid). For instance, I use CHARMM22 force field and I do not scale the 1-4
interactions (VDW_SCALE14 and EI_SCALE14 set to 1.0).

You need to read how your force field was optimized and what scaling factor
(if any) is suggested.

Also I do not really see reason to do rescaling for QM/MM and not for
classical simulations. Plausibly
this rescaling is just related to FF type.

Best wishes,
Dawid