[CP2K:10607] Re: Equilibration in NVT MD run

Lucas Lodeiro eluni... at gmail.com
Mon Aug 6 23:53:57 UTC 2018

I am not an expert in that, but i can suggest you some things:
The timestep is not the ideal for X-H bonds, less for gas phase molecules,
since the oscillation frecuency is bigger. I would put 0.5 fs.
Other important thing is, the temperature is not well defined for one step
(is a statistical property), less if the sistem just have 50 atoms, maybe
that do not allow a "fast or regular" convergence of temperature.
Also, you are not using a PBC system, i do not know if the kinetic energy, and
therefore the temperature, is well defined.

In my case, I usually use a liquid system (300 atoms) and PBC conditions,
with the same nose-hoover parameters, except for TIMECON=50, but I use a
clasical Molecular Dinamics first the ab-initio MD to obtain a better
guess, with a better correspondence between the kinetic energy and the
potential energy (positions); those systems reached the reference
temperature and equilibrium in less than 1 ps (with the tipical oscilation
around the reference temperature, but well matched the average value). I
feel for the temperature plot, and the initial molecular geometry, you use
an optimiced/relax potential energy geometry, and that can make it longer
time to reached the reference temperature, because the thermasthat must
inject a great amount of kinetic energy to reach the equilibrium.

Sorry if it is not helpful. Regards