DFT+U calculation problems

Xiaohui Yang shawn.yan... at gmail.com
Sun Apr 1 12:24:08 UTC 2018

Dear, all

I did some calculations with DFT+U functional recently, they all obtained
from the CP2K program.

At first, I calculated the geometry optimization of the structre, and
obtained the total energy directly from the last optimized structure (let's
say E1). Then, I ran a single point energy calculation with the same
optimized structure and got the total energy E2.

However, those two total energies (E1 & E2) I collected from the exact same
structure have significant difference, E2-E1 = 1.2 eV.

When checking their output results,  I find that the total energy
difference could be attributed to two parts, DFT+U energy and  Core
Hamiltonian energy. The input and output files are attached below.

As far as I know, the total energy calculated from the same settings and
structures should be the same. I have no idea about these results. Could
you please help me check what is wrong with my calculation? Any comments
will be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Xiaohui