Practical advice for metadynamics

Anthony Debellis adebe... at gmail.com
Sat Mar 11 15:09:05 UTC 2017

I am a new cp2k user who would like to run some metadynamics (DFT)
simulations.  I have defined a collective variable of the bond length
difference for 3 atoms.  After running unbiased dynamics for 15ps I can see
that the CV fluctuates between 3-5 bohr.  I would like some advice on
setting the parameters for a biased metadynamics run.  For example, what
are reasonable values for the hill height (I expect the barrier of the
relevant process to be ~35kj/mol), the hill width, the # of steps between
hill growth, the langevin parameters of spring constant and particle mass?
What is the benefit of running the langevin method versus direct
metadynamics?  I would greatly appreciate any help offered.  Please include
keywords and units!

Regards,
Anthony