Bulk potential energy by different methods

Sebastian Hütter sebastia... at ovgu.de
Fri Jun 2 13:43:23 UTC 2017

Hi,

well, that would be far more than 1 vacancy per "infinite" volume. For
these I use a coordinate list corresponding to 5x5x5 unit cells (that is,
500 atoms in 20.25 angstroms³), compute the energy (E1), remove one atom,
compute again (E2), then calculate Evf = E2 - (499/500) * E1.
With the exact same parameters, all EAM potentials I compared are already
well converged (i.e. larger replications change less than 1% of the
absolute value, so we're out of the self-interaction range), and get within
30% of the experimental value (~0.66eV) (depending on their construction of
course).

Reducing EPS_DEFAULT helped in that regard and I now get somewhat plausible
results there. However that never really was my objective, I just chose
vacancy formation energy to test because I it was the first concrete
physical quantity that came to mind with a simple computation method.

What I was really looking for is a way to compare the energies over things
like structural changes, but that doesn't appear to be possible... I do
note that every energy I have compared so far has been different by the
same constant factor (15.8). If there was any physical reason for that,
there's an obvious solution to my problem, but I can't think of one.

I've since found some articles that compared DFT to EAM for PdAu
<https://journals.aps.org/prb/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevB.80.035404> and NiAl
<http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/0965-0393/24/4/045012> systems
and where it worked well (both with VASP though).
Checking with the JARVIS-FF <http://www.ctcms.nist.gov/~knc6/periodic.html>
repository shows a cohesive energy of on average -3.37eV/atom and which was
confirmed by DFT, so I am now under the impression that the method should
work and something in my attempt to do the same with cp2k is wrong.

Sebastian