Bulk potential energy by different methods

Matthias Krack matthia... at psi.ch
Fri Jun 2 07:53:02 UTC 2017

Hi Sebastian

a gamma point calculation for Al metal using a model system consisting of
only 3x3x3 unit cells won't provide converged results. You need a much
larger model system in the order of 10x10x10 unit cells or you have to
employ an equivalent k point sampling. Besides that major issue, there are
further shortcomings in your CP2K input: (1) an SCF convergence threshold
of 1.0E-4 (EPS_SCF) is too large: 1.0E-6 (or smaller), (2) a general
threshold of 1.0E-10 (EPS_DEFAULT) is also too large: 1.0E-12 (or smaller)

Best regards

Matthias