Integrated absolute spin density changes significantly during geometry optimization, and is not reproduced in a subsequent SCF run (no smearing)

Marcella Iannuzzi marci... at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 09:03:43 UTC 2017

Dear Ananth,

the total integrated spin density can be different from zero, even if the
multiplicity is stil one, this should not be a problem.
After the geometry optimisation, did you try to restart also the wave
function in addition to the coordinates?
I have noticed that in your scf.inp the SCF_GUESS is set to ATOMIC.
My guess is that the scf ends to be trapped in a metastable state ,due to
the bad starting guess.

Kind regards,
Marcella