[CP2K:8672] How to calculate Fermi energy of metals?

Matt W MattWa... at gmail.com
Wed Feb 8 22:59:57 UTC 2017

Hi,

the OP might need to be a bit careful with the definition of the fermi
energy and explain what they are after. I think there are different
conventions around.

I think the free-electron models he referred to, and that 7 eV for copper
number, measure the chemical potential / fermi energy relative to the
bottom of the band. So it corresponds to something like the energy from the
lowest 4s copper states up to the highest occupied states. What you would
use it for, I am not quite sure.

So I think it is not the same thing as a physical measure relative to the
vacuum, i.e. work function.

Matt