[CP2K:8645] Comparison between CP2K and Quantum Espresso

tfran... at gmail.com tfran... at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 17:17:49 UTC 2017

Dear Prof. Hutter,
first of all, thanks a lot for your kind reply.

Il giorno lunedì 6 febbraio 2017 16:04:41 UTC+1, jgh ha scritto:

> Hi
>
> without additional information (e.g. output files or complete input)
> I will have to do guessing.
>
> There are two parts to this calculation
> - time per SCF step
> - number of SCF steps needed for convergence
>
> SCF convergence: you start from an atomic guess (CP2K) and a random
> wfn (QE). Although the convergence asked for is the same (1.e-7)
> this means different things in the two codes (check change in energy
> for the last step). For CP2K you can optimize the settings for the

convergence, but as you do start from scratch only once the more
> important part is what is the timing per step.
> (You probably also don't need CHOLESKY OFF?,
>  you use the most expensive PRECONDITIONER,
>  DIIS might not be good to start with ...)

Ok, i will check this part in detail in order to better tune the input to
my and to get rid of the "most" expensive part as much as I can.

> Your settings are ok, but rather tight in many respect, e.g. large and
> diffuse basis set, high cutoff. Non orthorhombic cell is also not
> optimal for CP2K.

Ok, I will decrease the settings parameters in order to allow a better
flexibility in terms of the cutoff eat.
Unfortunately all the systems I am dealing with are or monoclinic or
triclinic. Now that I am aware of this pitfall, I will reset all the
parameters in order to enhance the jobs as much as they can.

> So this is a very expensive calculation in CP2K standards.
>
> regards
>
> Juerg

Thanks a lot again for clarifying me these crucial points!
Best Regards,

Tommaso