[CP2K:8645] Comparison between CP2K and Quantum Espresso

hut... at chem.uzh.ch hut... at chem.uzh.ch
Mon Feb 6 15:04:36 UTC 2017

Hi

without additional information (e.g. output files or complete input)
I will have to do guessing.

There are two parts to this calculation
- time per SCF step
- number of SCF steps needed for convergence

SCF convergence: you start from an atomic guess (CP2K) and a random
wfn (QE). Although the convergence asked for is the same (1.e-7)
this means different things in the two codes (check change in energy
for the last step). For CP2K you can optimize the settings for the
convergence, but as you do start from scratch only once the more
important part is what is the timing per step.
(You probably also don't need CHOLESKY OFF?,
 you use the most expensive PRECONDITIONER,
 DIIS might not be good to start with ...)

Your settings are ok, but rather tight in many respect, e.g. large and
diffuse basis set, high cutoff. Non orthorhombic cell is also not
optimal for CP2K.
So this is a very expensive calculation in CP2K standards.

regards

Juerg

Juerg Hutter                         Phone : ++41 44 635 4491
Institut für Chemie C                FAX   : ++41 44 635 6838
Universität Zürich                   E-mail: hut... at chem.uzh.ch
Winterthurerstrasse 190
CH-8057 Zürich, Switzerland

-----cp... at googlegroups.com wrote: -----To: cp2k <cp... at googlegroups.com>