Fermi energy not in midgap

ashish dabral ashishd... at gmail.com
Wed Aug 2 12:22:44 UTC 2017

I have monolayers of various materials which have been simulated multiple
times and with different software.
There is a vacuum in z direction 15 Ang. PBE, GGA is used.
Let's take the below scenario where the different levels are given in eV .

VBM     = -3.88        Valence band
CBM     = -2.255     conduction band
Ef         = -1.44       Fermi energy from cp2k output
Ef         = -2.66       (VBM + (CBM-VBM)/2) mid-gap

The fermi level is in the bandgap.

The error in the two fermi levels above :
delta Ef = 0.40

All my systems are monolayers but I have simulated these monolayers earlier
using supercells. I know just using Gamma points doesn't give
a good resolution but still there shouldn't be 0.4 eV difference. Would you
suggest just taking an average of VBM and CBM in that case.
VBM and CBM are identified by filling total electrons with 2 per level. so
basically nelectrons/2 th energy level is my valence band and the next
one with 0 occupation my conduction band.

Thanks for any suggestions.