CP2K energy very different from Gaussian03

Matt W MattWa... at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 17:35:07 UTC 2016

Hi,

you certainly should get a similar number for the observable reaction
energy Fe + S -> FeS.

But the energies of the individual species will be different. Potentially
totally different if using different pseudopotentials. So just looking at
the Fe atom energy is not a good idea.

On an actual CP2K note your basis set is too small - change SZV to DZVP for
something OK.

As David T says, best to compare like with like where possible, PADE
functional in CP2K is LDA, so probably like SVWN keywords for exchange
correlation in Gaussian for comparison.

Matt