visualizing geometry from *-pos-1.xyz inside the box in VMD

Tobias Kraemer 161brun... at gmail.com
Tue Oct 25 06:35:20 UTC 2016

Dear Megha,

the pos file doesn't contain any information about the simulation box.
However, you can tell VMD manually what the parameters are. Open the
terminal (Externsions/Tk Console) and type pbc set {a b c alpha beta gamma}
<enter> pbc box_draw.
This should yield the desired result, i.e. the simulation box / unit cell
of lengths a b c and angles alpha beta gamma. I suspect in your case the
cell will be a simple cube of side length a Angstrom. I am not entirely
sure, but I suspect that the box will only be drawn for one frame of the
trajectory, but I don't know if there is a way to fix the box for all
frames. At least for a first visual inspection this should be sufficient.

Hope this helps

Tobias