Effect of +U on energy of free atom

Matthias Krack matthia... at psi.ch
Fri Oct 14 10:23:31 UTC 2016

Hi

indeed the +U energy should be always positive. A negative value indicates
that the applied population analysis returns unreasonable d orbital
occupations which can happen e.g. for Cu when slightly more than 10
electrons are assigned to the 3d orbitals by the Mulliken analysis. That is
a known shortcoming of the Mulliken analysis. Lowdin is more robust in that
respect, but there are no forces implemented for Lowdin in CP2K.
Furthermore, I do not recommend to use the MULLIKEN_CHARGES method. So the
only reasonable choice for the PLUS_U_METHOD is currently MULLIKEN. Note
that PW codes like VASP use different atomic basis sets.for the
determination of the orbital occupations which results in different orbital
occupations and thus the U values are not transferable to CP2K.

Matthias