Transition State Optimization with Dimer Method

Natalie Austin natalie... at gmail.com
Fri May 6 11:54:47 UTC 2016

Hello,

I recently attempted to calculate a transition state for CO2 dissociation
using CI-NEB. Unfortunately, the NEB did not converge after 66 steps ( It
ran once up to 32 steps then I had to resubmit it to run another 34 steps)
and so I stopped the calculation because I noticed that the MAX FORCE for
the NEB calculation was just fluctuating(see below). Would anyone be able
to indicate why this is the case? I used the same input for a located a
transition from physisorbed CO2 to chemisorbed CO2 on the same metal system
and I did not have this problem.

I did come across a case in the steps where all criteria was met except for
the MAX force as shown below:

 RMS DISPLACEMENT =   0.00013     [ 0.00100]
(YES)
 MAX DISPLACEMENT =   0.00225     [ 0.00300]
(YES)
 RMS FORCE        =   0.00025     [ 0.00100]
(YES)
 MAX FORCE        =   0.00407     [ 0.00300]
( NO)

So I took that structure and ran vibrational analysis on it and found that
it had 3 imaginary frequencies as shown below:

 VIB|                        NORMAL MODES - CARTESIAN DISPLACEMENTS
 VIB|
 VIB|                         1                    2                    3
 VIB|Frequency (cm^-1)  -374.496175          -281.692265
-60.923863
 VIB|Intensities           0.000000             0.000000
0.000000
 VIB|Red.Masses (a.u.)    14.024323            16.040216
53.709296
 VIB|Frc consts (a.u.)    -0.000706            -0.000259
-0.000002

As a previous user suggested I then tried to use the Transition State Dimer
method to see if I could guide this structure to a transition state by
providing the vectors in DIMER _VECTOR for the mode corresponding to the
state that I was looking for. I was able to locate a potential transition
state. I've providing the transition state coordinates below. Does it make
sense to use CI-NEB and reoptimize with the Transition state search in
cases where it is difficult to converge the NEB?  Is this a common
occurrence? I'm just trying to make sure that I'm locating transition
states in an appropriate way.

Thanks,

Natalie