Serious convergence problem (Au and CeO2 mixed system)

Matt W MattWa... at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 14:16:00 UTC 2016

Hi,

When Marcella says "not the easiest to treat with DFT", I think she means
'an absolute nightmare to treat with DFT':)

At beginning the EPS_SCF is 1.0E-6, I just loose it when SCF does't
> converge. For MD simulation, the geometries diverge too much, this is main
> reason that SCF doesn't converge. I hope there is something can improve it.
>
> You'll need a very small timestep for MD too. The electronic structure is
unstable, with multiple solutions (polarons jumping onto the CeO2 from the
metal) so if you aren't very careful you'll lose your solution. This occurs
with any DFT code, should be papers from Michaelides for instance where I
think they used 0.1 fs with a popular plane-wave code.

Matt