Serious convergence problem (Au and CeO2 mixed system)

Yong Li windru... at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 12:09:28 UTC 2016

Dear Marcella,

thank you for you reply!

"The combination of functional, DFT+U, basis-sets and potentials might not
be optimal.
According to our last experience with CeO2, to get a good description of
the electronic structure we needed a small core Ce element, with 30 valence
electrons. "

Does CP2K provide other basis set and small core potential ? I don't think
so, do you create potential and basis set yourself?
This system is Gold supported CeO2 cluster, the band gap of this whole
system is pretty small, so I don't know if it is necessary to add U value.

"Have you already tried the following things?
- reduce the mixing coefficient alpha
- increase the smearing temperature
- use a different extrapolation method, e.g., prev_wf
- tighten the eps_default"

I try to increase and reduce mixing value of alpha, it doesn't help, also
try to increase smearing temperature, and many other keywords.
I didn't try other extrapolation method, I will try it.
At beginning the EPS_SCF is 1.0E-6, I just loose it when SCF does't
converge. For MD simulation, the geometries diverge too much, this is main
reason that SCF doesn't converge. I hope there is something can improve it.

All the best,
Yong