Specifiying point group of isolated system

S. Ling lsl.m... at gmail.com
Wed Mar 30 00:29:50 UTC 2016

Hi

CP2K does not use symmetry in geometry optimisation, so it is impossible to
constrain the geometry of an isolated structure to a particular point group
symmetry. In your case, if you provide an initial geometry with your
desired point group symmetry plus good bond lengths and angles, and the
structure is indeed a local minimum or global minimum on the potential
energy surface, then most likely the geometry optimisation will converge
very fast and you will obtain an optimised structure of which the geometry
is close to your desired point group symmetry. The deformation of the
structure during your geometry optimisation may indicate that your initial
structure is not very good, i.e. there is another local minimum nearby with
a lower symmetry.

SL