Optimize RI Basis sets

Michael Deible mde... at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 19:25:32 UTC 2016

Hi,

I would like to do an RPA calculation to determine the binding energy of an
organic molecule to an iron surface.  To do this, I need RI basis sets for
iron, carbon and oxygen.  I was planning to use the MOLOPT basis sets, and
use the OPTIMIZE_RI_BASIS method to generate the auxiliary basis
sets. To get started, I ran the
regtest: cp2k-3.0/tests/QS/regtest-ri-mp2/opt_basis_O_auto_gen.inp.  This
completes as expected.  However, If I only change the basis set in this
file to SZV-MOLOPT-GTH-q6, I get a segmentation fault.

I compiled CP2K-3.0 using the install_cp2k_toolchain.sh script on a Cray
XC40 (Excalibur) (arch file attached).  To make sure that it wasn't my
compilation that was the problem, I downloaded several of the precompiled
binaries.  With the cp2k-3.0.ssmp binary,  I now get the following error:
Note: The following floating-point exceptions are signaling:
IEEE_UNDERFLOW_FLAG.  For the DZVP-MOLOPT basis, I get the error:  Error in
`./cp2k-3.0-Linux-x86_64.ssmp': malloc(): memory corruption:

I've noticed that most of the literature concerning the RI_RPA method uses
the correlation consistent basis sets.  Is there some reason not to use the
MOLOPT basis sets with RI_RPA, and is that why I am having issues
generating an auxiliary basis set for them?  Or (more likely) is my
compilation bad, and the precompiled versions aren't optimized enough to
fix this?

Thanks,
Mike