Nudged Elastic Band (NEB, BAND): understanding and improving efficiency

S. Ling lsl.m... at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 15:07:03 UTC 2016

Hi Daniele,

4) Fixed cell for NEB is a serious constraint: are you developing a
variable-cell-neb in the next version? An alternative seems to be USPEX
which is interfaced with cp2k but not properly documented for it (in my
opinion). Do you have any input example to share?

For flexible cell NEB (or solid-state NEB) calculations, you may consider
to use the TSASE tool by the Henkelman group at UT Austin,
see http://theory.cm.utexas.edu/tsase/. If you download the package, you
will find a few examples there. Just set the ASE calculator to CP2K (see
https://www.cp2k.org/tools:ase), then you should be able to run a
solid-state NEB calculation for your MOF in which the cell parameters of
the transition state are optimised together with the atomic coordinates.
The solid-state NEB method is discussed in this paper,
see http://scitation.aip.org/content/aip/journal/jcp/136/7/10.1063/1.3684549.

SL