Nudged Elastic Band (NEB, BAND): understanding and improving efficiency

Daniele Ongari daniele... at gmail.com
Wed Jul 27 13:48:15 UTC 2016

Dear cp2k developers,
I'm working with BAND algorithm in cp2k, to explore phase transition in
metal organic frameworks.

I'm using a starting configuration and a final configuration (sometimes I
also add an intermediate configuration to avoid strange geometry
interpolations) to generate 20 replicas.

Using a DFT/PBE+D3 calculation on ~300 atoms efficiency is very important
to me and I'm asking your help to understand better how to chose the best
input:

1) If i use a total of 400 cpus to run 20 replicas, I know that with
"NPROC_REP 100" the SCF of 4 replicas are done in parallel and is better
for scalability issues. But I found out that BAND starts with replica 1 2 3
4 and move to 5 6 7 8 only when the last SCF is terminated, making lots of
cpus waiting for nothing. Am I right or I misunderstood something? Is there
an option to avoid this nonsense?

2) Why starting and final configuration need a SCF for each BAND cycle? The
configuration and the energy appear to be always the same, so why run a SCF
more than once?

3) In an old post
(https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/cp2k/_icaeFBVnZ4) I found that for
each BAND cycle there are more than one SCF running without geometry
change, and this is related to NO_LS and NP_ LS (=2 by default). What is
the scope of this? Can NO_LS be safely used? Does NO_LS=T correspond to
NP_LS=1?

4) Fixed cell for NEB is a serious constraint: are you developing a
variable-cell-neb in the next version? An alternative seems to be USPEX
which is interfaced with cp2k but not properly documented for it (in my
opinion). Do you have any input example to share?

Thanks for your help and for your continuous effort to improve this
wonderful software.

Daniele Ongari
PhD candidate, LSMO, EPFL Switzerland