Grottus mechanism

huan... at mail.huji.ac.il huan... at mail.huji.ac.il
Wed Jul 13 09:52:10 UTC 2016

Dear Dj MG,

I checked your files. Actually, the proton has transferred from H3O^+ to
H2O in your short trajectory.

You may use the program called VMD to visualize the position file, which is
your "H3O+_H2O-pos-1.xyz".

By adding the representation with the "Drawing Method" of "dynamicbonds",
and setting the "Distance Cutoff" as 1.2, you will be able to observe the
proton transfer event.

The questions in your input file are:

1) Why you set the "MULTIPLICITY" as 3 in your input file?
The proton does not have electron, and all electrons in H3O^+ H2O
system are in-pair. In my opinion, the multiplicity for this system should
be 1.

2) What kind of system would you like to simulate? Periodic system or just
a small dimer cluster?

3) The temperature printed in your output file fluctuated quite large. The
target temperature you set is 313 K, however, as shown in
your "H3O+_H2O-1.ener" file, the maximum value even reached to 1339 K,
whereas the minimum value dropped down to 99 K. That seems quite
unreasonable. You need to choose a better thermostat, like Nose-Hoover
chain thermostat or CSVR thermostat.

All the best,
Huan
.