[CP2K:8099] Developers: fast build, without recompiling dependencies?

Jörg Saßmannshausen j.sassma... at ucl.ac.uk
Thu Aug 25 13:49:43 UTC 2016

Hi Rustam,

can you not go into the sub-directory and do a make there and then just re-
link? I would have thought that is possible.
If you have modified only a few files it might be even quicker to manually
execute the building command and then re-link.

Not sure whether that works with cp2k as well as I have not tried it but other
code certainly has that feature.

All the best from London

Jörg

On Thursday 25 Aug 2016 06:44:34 Rustam wrote:
> CP2K developers,
>
> Is the any way to build exe without recompiling ALL dependencies?
>
> A couple of years ago the standard make target did not recompile all
> dependencies. As a result minor code modifications recompiled fast. Now,
> make carefully creates a list of all dependencies and recompiles all of
> them. Nice safety feature but recompiling minor local changes seems to take
> forever, debugging becomes a major pain.
>
> Is there any make TARGET that can build exe by recompiling only the
> modified files and their corresponding libraries?
>
> Thanks,
> Rustam

Dr. Jörg Saßmannshausen, MRSC
University College London