Re-optimising transition state using dimer method

Tobias Kraemer 161brun... at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 13:39:27 UTC 2015

Dear SL and Luca,

I am aware of the numerical noise problem in vibrational analysis. I have
worked on this issue for a while, in order to sort out a reliable protocol
for my systems.
I have seen many examples where vibrational analysis yielded >50 imaginary
modes. Presently I am using EPS_SCF of 10E-6 in combination with MAX_FORCE
8E-4 for transition states, while the vibrational calculations uses a
tighter EPS_SCF of 10E-8 in combination with DX 0.01. Optimising to minima
a use somewhat tighter criteria than in the TS searches. I've come to
realise that it is not easy to get good convergence in NEB calculations
(don't ask me for the reason, it is my simple observation) and if the SCF
convergence fails, it is impossible to converge to some decent structure in
reasonable time. However, for a good number of optimisations (TS and
minima) on the same system, this protocol has proven quite robust. I have
heard from other people that they have experience similar issues with NEB,
and I come to the conclusion that this is far from being straightforward.

In view of my experience with the system so far, the presence of one small
(~i25 cm-1) mode indicates that it is not numerical noise. I will try
however to increase the cutoff (I am using 500 Ry indeed at the moment), to
see if this changes anything. I have tested this in the past, and it did
not influence the outcome of the result. Same for DX (increased to 0.02) So
perhaps the answer lies in converging the dimer method to a tighter cutoff,
in order to get the desired geometry.

Best

Tobi