Is it possible to specifiy the multiplicity of a metallic (or bimetallic) system AND include the Fermi keyword?

Natalie Austin natalie... at gmail.com
Mon Nov 9 14:19:07 UTC 2015

Hello,

I was able to get FIXED_MAGNETIC_MOMENT to work for an isolated Cu55
cluster. It turns out that there isn't a significant difference in the
total energy if I use this keyword or not. However when I incorporated a
nickel atom into the cluster (Cu54Ni), the optimization process was really
slow (3 steps in 31 hours). It seems that fixing the magnetic moment in
this case is not probable.
So my question still stands, is setting the multiplicity important if it is
not reflected in the final result when using the fermi keyword?

Any help with this would be much appreciated

Thanks,
Natalie