Is it possible to specifiy the multiplicity of a metallic (or bimetallic) system AND include the Fermi keyword?

Natalie Austin natalie... at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 17:19:46 UTC 2015

Hello,

I added FIXED_MAGNETIC_MOMENT -1  to the SMEAR section for the multiplicity
4 calculation but the alpha and beta orbitals were still fractional values:
303.548262   301.451738

In the Non-integer total number of Alpha/Beta Electrons.
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#%21searchin/cp2k/fixed_magnetic_moment/cp2k/zXcQmb2xkks/E1Qhvsmne_UJ>
post someone stated that "One uses the smearing for metallic systems, and
the Fermi energy of the two spin channels has to be the same.
This is not the case if the electrons are not free to fill the lowest
energy states, irrespective of the spin"

Does this mean by restricting the alpha and beta to integer numbers my
system could be (or is always) higher in energy than a system where
fractional occupations are allowed?

Generally, I'm a bit unsure about the standard for performing spin
polarized calculations in CP2K, do you only need to set UKS TRUE? is
setting the multiplicity just as important?

Thanks,

Natalie